Registered charities in England and Wales
Data for financial year ending 31 December 2017
The National Motor Museum Trust Limited
- Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7ZN
Aims & activities
The National Motor Museum Trust is dedicated to preserving and promoting motoring history. It has a world famous collection of vehicles and associated motoring items, many of which are on display at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. The Trust has an educational mission and cares for very large collections of objects, images, documents and books in its Collections Centre.
What the charity does
Who the charity helps
- The general public/mankind
How the charity works
- Provides buildings/facilities/open space
- Sponsors or undertakes research
Income and Endowments:
Assets and liabilities
- £8.3M Own use assets
- £250.0K Long term investments
- £0.0K Defined benefit pension scheme asset or liability
- £1.1M Other assets
- £211.2K Total liabilities
Raises funds from the Public
This charity has one or more trading subsidiaries
Recognised by HMRC for gift aid
Charitable spending ratios
Ratios have to be put in context. They should be read in conjunction with the charity’s financial statements on which they’re based if they are to be interpreted correctly and sound conclusions drawn. For example the accounting rules affect what can be classed as income or expenditure. Where a charity which purchases land to further its objects the accounting rules do not permit including the purchase cost as charitable spending in its accounts. Instead it is ‘capitalised’ and shown on the balance sheet. Similarly a charity that receives an endowment it can’t spend may have a lower percentage of charitable spending as a proportion of income in the year of receipt as compared to the previous year as a result. Ratios may also be affected by the way a charity operates. For example, a charity which primarily generates income from investments may have lower cost of raising funds than one which employs fundraisers. A grant-making charity funding other charities to undertake an activity will have much lower staffing costs compared to a charity employing staff to perform that activity.
Charitable spending (including governance costs) as a percentage of the group’s total income available for charitable activities.
The charity group’s total income adjusted for the trading subsidiaries costs of income generation and other costs to give the percentage available to the parent for charitable spending.
The percentage of the charity’s total income retained for future use.
Accounts and trustees' annual report
1. TO PROMOTE THE EDUCATION OF THE PUBLIC CONCERNING THE HISTORY OF MOTORING PRIMARILY IN GREAT BRITAIN BUT ALSO INTERNATIONALLY, AND IN PARTICULAR TO EXHIBIT TO THE PUBLIC HISTORIC MOTOR VEHICLES, DOCUMENTS, PHOTOGRAPHS, ARTEFACTS AND OTHER EXHIBITS IN CONNECTION WITH THE HISTORY OF MOTORING INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THOSE FORMING PART OF THE COLLECTION; 2. TO PROMOTE RESEARCH INTO THE HISTORY OF MOTORING PRIMARILY IN GREAT BRITAIN BUT ALSO INTERNATIONALLY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PUBLIC AND TO PUBLISH THE USEFUL RESULTS OF SUCH RESEARCH; 3. TO CONSERVE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PUBLIC HISTORIC MOTOR VEHICLES, DOCUMENTS, PHOTOGRAPHS, ARTEFACTS AND OTHER EXHIBITS (INCLUDING ELECTRONIC MEDIA) CONNECTED WITH THE HISTORY OF MOTORING PRIMARILY IN GREAT BRITAIN BUT ALSO INTERNATIONALLY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THOSE FORMING PART OF THE COLLECTION.
Governing documentMEMORANDUM AND ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED 17 DECEMBER 2004.
Area of benefit
Great Britain And Internationally.
Safeguarding vulnerable beneficiaries
Conflicts of interest
Land And Property
This charity owns and/or leases land or property. Some or all of this land or property must be used for the charity’s purposes.
- 10 Trustees
- 20 Employees
- 65 Volunteers
|Trustee||Other trusteeships||Charity status|
|Christopher Macgowan||None on record|
|Lord Montagu||Hampshire Archives Trust||Up-to-date|
|The Beaulieu Beaufort Foundation||Up-to-date|
|The Countryside Education Trust||Up-to-date|
|The Michael Sedgwick Memorial Trust||Up-to-date|
|The Hon Mrs Mary Montagu-Scott||New Forest Ninth Centenary Trust||Up-to-date|
|The National Museum Of The Royal Navy||Up-to-date|
|Nicholas Berkeley Mason||None on record|
|Robert Stephen Taylor||The Newcomen Society For The Study Of The History Of Engineering And Technology||Up-to-date|
|Lord Strathcarron||None on record|
|Michael David Timmins||None on record|
|John Reed (Chair)||None on record|
|Caroline Marcus||Group For Education In Museums||Up-to-date|
|Helen Evenden||None on record|
Areas of operation
List of regions
- Throughout England And Wales