Registered charities in England and Wales
Data for financial year ending 31 December 2017
- Blackwell Arts & Crafts House, Newby Bridge Road, Windermere, LA23 3JT
Aims & activities
Lakeland Arts operates Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Blackwell Arts & Crafts House and the Museum of Lakeland Life and Industry in the Lake District. Lakeland Arts is delivering a capital project to redevelop and reopen the WIndermere Steamboat Museum to the public and to conserve the collection of Steamboats and historic vessels.
What the charity does
- Economic/community development/employment
Who the charity helps
- The general public/mankind
How the charity works
- Provides buildings/facilities/open space
Income and Endowments:
* £87.0K investment gains(losses)
Assets and liabilities
- £12.9M Own use assets
- £1.7M Long term investments
- £-0.5M Defined benefit pension scheme asset or liability
- £1.5M Other assets
- £635.7K Total liabilities
This charity has one or more trading subsidiaries
Recognised by HMRC for gift aid
Charitable spending ratios
Ratios have to be put in context. They should be read in conjunction with the charity’s financial statements on which they’re based if they are to be interpreted correctly and sound conclusions drawn. For example the accounting rules affect what can be classed as income or expenditure. Where a charity which purchases land to further its objects the accounting rules do not permit including the purchase cost as charitable spending in its accounts. Instead it is ‘capitalised’ and shown on the balance sheet. Similarly a charity that receives an endowment it can’t spend may have a lower percentage of charitable spending as a proportion of income in the year of receipt as compared to the previous year as a result. Ratios may also be affected by the way a charity operates. For example, a charity which primarily generates income from investments may have lower cost of raising funds than one which employs fundraisers. A grant-making charity funding other charities to undertake an activity will have much lower staffing costs compared to a charity employing staff to perform that activity.
Charitable spending (including governance costs) as a percentage of the group’s total income available for charitable activities.
The charity group’s total income adjusted for the trading subsidiaries costs of income generation and other costs to give the percentage available to the parent for charitable spending.
The percentage of the charity’s total income retained for future use.
Accounts and trustees' annual report
1. THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE ARTS, CULTURE, HERITAGE OR SCIENCE AND FOR THE CONSERVATION OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND HERITAGE OF CUMBRIA AND NORTH LANCASHIRE, INCLUDING BY: THE ESTABLISHMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ART GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PUBLIC TO INCLUDE THE CARE, MANAGEMENT AND DISPLAY OF THE PERMANENT COLLECTIONS OF THE TRUST ESTABLISHED BY DECLARATION OF TRUST DATED 9TH AUGUST 1957 AND SUBSEQUENTLY AMENDED BY MULTIPLE DEEDS OF VARIATION AND NOW KNOWN AS 'THE LAKELAND ARTS TRUST' ('THE ORIGINAL TRUST') AND ANY OTHER COLLECTIONS, GROUPINGS, DISPLAYS OR INDIVIDUAL ITEMS FROM ANY OTHER BODY; 2. SUCH OTHER PUBLIC CHARITABLE PURPOSES TENDING TO ADVANCE ARTISTIC, HISTORICAL OR INTELLECTUAL INTERESTS IN THE SAID AREA WHICH CAN CONVENIENTLY BE PROMOTED IN COMBINATION WITH THE PURPOSE AFORESAID; AND 3. SUCH OTHER CHARITABLE OBJECTS AS THE COMPANY SHALL FROM TIME TO TIME DETERMINE.
Governing documentMEMORANDUM AND ARTICLES INCORPORATED 31 JUL 2012 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION REGISTERED AT COMPANIES HOUSE ON 08/07/2013
Safeguarding vulnerable beneficiaries
Conflicts of interest
Land And Property
This charity owns and/or leases land or property. Some or all of this land or property must be used for the charity’s purposes.
- 13 Trustees
- 60 Employees
- 60 Volunteers
|Trustee||Other trusteeships||Charity status|
|Anthony Rickards Collinson||Association For The Independence Of The Disabled Limited||Up-to-date|
|Anthea Fiendley Case Cbe||The Laura Case Trust||Up-to-date|
|Henry Charles Fraser Bowring||None on record|
|Sara Louise Keegan||None on record|
|Martin John Ainscough (Chair)||None on record|
|Charles William Nepean Crewdson||Lakeland Arts Support Trust||Up-to-date|
|Christopher Michael Clarke Cbe Frse||None on record|
|Nicholas William Robert Thompson||The Wgt Memorial Trust||Out-of-date|
|Professor Judith Ann Lois Mottram||None on record|
|Elizabeth Mary Rink||Lakeland Arts Support Trust||Up-to-date|
|John Hudson||None on record|
|Susan Anne Crewe||None on record|
|Bronwen Riley||None on record|
Areas of operation
List of regions