Registered charities in England and Wales
Data for financial year ending 31 March 2018
The National Council For Voluntary Organisations
- National Council For Voluntary, Organisations, Society Building, 8 Regents Wharf, All Saints Street, N1 9RL
Aims & activities
NCVO champions the voluntary sector and volunteering. We connect, represent and support voluntary organisations.
What the charity does
- General charitable purposes
Who the charity helps
- Other charities or voluntary bodies
How the charity works
- Provides buildings/facilities/open space
- Provides services
- Provides advocacy/advice/information
- Sponsors or undertakes research
- Acts as an umbrella or resource body
Income and Endowments:
* £55.0K investment gains(losses)
Assets and liabilities
- £1.9M Own use assets
- £2.5M Long term investments
- £-3.4M Defined benefit pension scheme asset or liability
- £4.0M Other assets
- £4.3M Total liabilities
This charity has one or more trading subsidiaries
Charitable spending ratios
Ratios have to be put in context. They should be read in conjunction with the charity’s financial statements on which they’re based if they are to be interpreted correctly and sound conclusions drawn. For example the accounting rules affect what can be classed as income or expenditure. Where a charity which purchases land to further its objects the accounting rules do not permit including the purchase cost as charitable spending in its accounts. Instead it is ‘capitalised’ and shown on the balance sheet. Similarly a charity that receives an endowment it can’t spend may have a lower percentage of charitable spending as a proportion of income in the year of receipt as compared to the previous year as a result. Ratios may also be affected by the way a charity operates. For example, a charity which primarily generates income from investments may have lower cost of raising funds than one which employs fundraisers. A grant-making charity funding other charities to undertake an activity will have much lower staffing costs compared to a charity employing staff to perform that activity.
Charitable spending (including governance costs) as a percentage of the group’s total income available for charitable activities.
The charity group’s total income adjusted for the trading subsidiaries costs of income generation and other costs to give the percentage available to the parent for charitable spending.
The percentage of the charity’s total income retained for future use.
Accounts and trustees' annual report
1. TO PROMOTE ALL OR ANY PURPOSE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE COMMUNITY WHICH ARE OR HEREAFTER MAY BE DEEMED BY LAW TO BE CHARITABLE AND IN PARTICULAR THE ADVANCEMENT OF EDUCATION, THE FURTHERANCE OF HEALTH AND THE RELIEF OF POVERTY, DISTRESS AND SICKNESS. 2. TO PROMOTE AND ORGANISE CO-OPERATION IN THE ACHIEVEMENT OF THE ABOVE PURPOSES AND TO THAT END BRING TOGETHER IN COUNCIL NATIONALLY AND LOCALLY REPRESENTATIVES OF VOLUNTARY AGENCIES AND STATUTORY AUTHORITIES ENGAGED IN THE FURTHERANCE OF THE ABOVE PURPOSES OR ANY OF THEM.
Governing documentMEMORANDUM AND ARTICLES INCORPORATED 03/05/1924 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 14/03/1950 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 19/04/1970 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 01/04/1980 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 13/11/1989 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 11/11/1993 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 23/01/1997 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 26/02/1998 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 23/10/2000 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 21/11/2007 NOW ARTICLES ADOPTED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION DATED 24/11/2010 AS AMENDED BY SPECIAL RESOLUTION(S) DATED 08/11/2012
Conflicts of interest
Land And Property
This charity owns and/or leases land or property.
- 12 Trustees
- 92 Employees
- 0 Volunteers
|Trustee||Other trusteeships||Charity status|
|Julie Bentley||None on record|
|Peter Kellner (Chair)||The Charities Aid Foundation||Up-to-date|
|Vanessa Griffiths||None on record|
|Jenny Field||None on record|
|Paul Breckell||None on record|
|Sally Anne Young||None on record|
|Chris Freed||None on record|
|Dan Sutch||None on record|
|Anne Heal||Balletboyz Ltd||Out-of-date|
|Andy Cook||None on record|
|Tiger De Souza||None on record|
|Ingrid Tennessee||None on record|
Areas of operation
List of regions
- Throughout England