Registered charities in England and Wales
Data for financial year ending 31 December 2017
Westminster Almshouses Foundation
- 7 Allandale Place, Orpington, BR6 7TH
Aims & activities
Provision of almshouses for older people and grants to individuals
What the charity does
- The prevention or relief of poverty
Who the charity helps
- Elderly/old people
How the charity works
- Makes grants to individuals
- Provides buildings/facilities/open space
- Provides services
Income and Endowments:
* £980.1K investment gains(losses)
Assets and liabilities
- £17.6M Own use assets
- £13.6M Long term investments
- £0.0K Defined benefit pension scheme asset or liability
- £332.7K Other assets
- £30.6K Total liabilities
Charitable spending ratios
Ratios have to be put in context. They should be read in conjunction with the charity’s financial statements on which they’re based if they are to be interpreted correctly and sound conclusions drawn. For example the accounting rules affect what can be classed as income or expenditure. Where a charity which purchases land to further its objects the accounting rules do not permit including the purchase cost as charitable spending in its accounts. Instead it is ‘capitalised’ and shown on the balance sheet. Similarly a charity that receives an endowment it can’t spend may have a lower percentage of charitable spending as a proportion of income in the year of receipt as compared to the previous year as a result. Ratios may also be affected by the way a charity operates. For example, a charity which primarily generates income from investments may have lower cost of raising funds than one which employs fundraisers. A grant-making charity funding other charities to undertake an activity will have much lower staffing costs compared to a charity employing staff to perform that activity.
Charitable spending (including governance costs) as a percentage of the group’s total income available for charitable activities.
The charity group’s total income adjusted for the trading subsidiaries costs of income generation and other costs to give the percentage available to the parent for charitable spending.
The percentage of the charity’s total income retained for future use.
Accounts and trustees' annual report
4. OBJECTS OF THE CHARITY (1) THE OBJECTS OF THE CHARITY ARE: (A) THE ALMSHOUSE OBJECTS; (B) THE RELIEF IN NEED OBJECT; AND (C) THE EDUCATIONAL OBJECT. (2) THE ALMSHOUSE OBJECTS ARE: (A) THE PROVISION OF HOUSING ACCOMMODATION FOR PERSONS IN NEED, HARDSHIP OR DISTRESS WHO (EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN THIS SCHEME): (I) ARE INHABITANTS OF THE AREA OF BENEFIT; OR (II) HAVE RESIDED IN THE AREA OF BENEFIT AT ANY TIME IN THE LAST TEN YEARS; AND (III) ARE OVER 60 YEARS OF AGE, EXCEPT IN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES AGREED BY THE TRUSTEES. (B) SUCH CHARITABLE PURPOSES FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE RESIDENTS AS THE TRUSTEES DECIDE. (3) THE RELIEF OF NEED OBJECT IS THE RELIEF OF PERSONS WHO ARE: (A) IN NEED, HARDSHIP OR DISTRESS; AND (B) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN THIS SCHEME, RESIDENT IN THE AREA OF BENEFIT. (4) THE EDUCATIONAL OBJECT IS THE RELIEF OF PERSONS WHO: (A) ARE IN NEED, HARDSHIP OR DISTRESS; AND (B) ARE RESIDENT IN THE AREA OF BENEFIT; BY ADVANCING THEIR EDUCATION AND TRAINING IN SUCH WAYS AS THE TRUSTEES THINK FIT. (5) THE TRUSTEES MAY RELIEVE PERSONS IN NEED BY: (A) MAKING GRANTS OF MONEY TO THEM; OR (B) PROVIDING OR PAYING FOR GOODS, SERVICES OR FACILITIES FOR THEM; OR (C) MAKING GRANTS OF MONEY TO OTHER PERSONS OR BODIES WHO PROVIDE GOODS, SERVICES OR FACILITIES TO THOSE IN NEED.
Governing documentSCHEME OF THE CHARITY COMMISSION DATED 21 DECEMBER 2007 AS AMENDED BY SCHEME DATED 09 FEB 2017 AS AMENDED BY RESOLUTION DATED 26 SEP 2017
Area of benefit
London Borough Of The City Of Westminster.
Other namesUnited Westminster Almshouses Foundation
Conflicts of interest
Land And Property
This charity owns and/or leases land or property. Some or all of this land or property must be used for the charity’s purposes.
- 7 Trustees
- 5 Employees
- 0 Volunteers
|Trustee||Other trusteeships||Charity status|
|Lady Joanna Knatchbull||The Cassel Hospital Charitable Trust||Up-to-date|
|The Child And Family Practice Charitable Foundation||Out-of-date|
|The United World College Of The Atlantic Limited||Up-to-date|
|Rev Graham Martin Buckle||Community Of St Andrew||Up-to-date|
|Mrs Rebecca Aldridge||Up-to-date|
|St Andrews Church Hall Trust||Up-to-date|
|The Burdett-Coutts, Townshend And St Stephen's Schools, Westminster||Up-to-date|
|The Napier Hall Trust||Recently registered|
|The Parochial Church Council Of The Ecclesiastical Parish Of St Stephen With St John, Westminster||Up-to-date|
|The Pepys Twining Trust||Up-to-date|
|Polly Williams (Chair)||None on record|
|Laurence Martin Soden||None on record|
|Councillor Rachael Robathan||None on record|
|Charles Lillis||None on record|
|Lucy Alexandra||None on record|
Areas of operation
List of regions
- City Of Westminster